Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

1970s Top Ten by Michael Weare


The 70s music, was a mix of everything, from novelty records,disco,rock,country and so so much more. In an occasional series we ask readers to come up with their Top Ten of the 1970s.

Today another Englishman abroad chooses his Top Ten, however he gave me such a big list there will be some bonus tracks too. Michael Weare resides in Manila, and is  self employed , he admits only to being over thirty!!!


Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 10 

Summer The First Time by Bobby Goldsboro

Bobby was a huge star in the 60s and carried on charting in the 1970s, with hits like "Honey", "Hello Summertime" and this beautiful record about a young man losing his virginity to an older woman.

As a teenager at the time this was so naughty!!



Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 9

These Foolish Things by Bryan Ferry

The Roxy Music front man with a solo hit from his album "These Foolish Things", the song has copyright dating back to 1936, and was also performed in the film "A Nightingale In Berkeley Square", a little before Bryans time.

Here are the full lyrics to "These Foolish Things"

A cigarette that bares a lipstick’s traces

An airline ticket to romantic places
And still my heart has wings
These foolish things remind me of you.
A tinkling piano in the next apartment
Those stumblin’words that told you what my heart meant
A fairground’s painted swings
These foolish things
Remind me of you.
You came,
You saw,
You conquered me
When you did that to me
I knew somehow this had to be
The winds of march that made my heart a dancer
A telephone that rings but who’s to answer
Oh, how the ghost of you clings
These foolish things
Remind me of you
First daffodils
And long excited cables
And candle lights
A little corner table
And still my heart has wings
These foolish things remind me of you
The park at evening
When the bell has sounded
The pier in france
With all the gulls around it
The beauty that is spring
These foolish things
Remind me of you
How strange,
How sweet,
To find you still,
These things are dear to me
They seem to bring you near to me
The sigh of midnight trains
At empty stations
Silk stockings thrown aside
Dance invitations
Oh how the ghost of you clings
These foolish things
Remind me of you
Gardenia perfume
Lingering on a pillow
Wild strawberries
Only seven francs a kilo
And still my heart has wings,
These foolish things,
Remind me of you
The smile of garbo
And the scent of roses
The waiters whistling
As the last bar closes
The song that crosby sings
These foolish things
Remind me of you
How strange
How sweet
To find you still
These things are dear to me
They seem to bring you near to me
The scent of smoldering leaves
The wail of steamers
Two lovers on the street
Who walk like dreamers
Oh how the ghost of you clings
These foolish things
Remind me of you. 



Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 8

Whatever You Want by Status Quo

This is head rocking from the group who have hits in every decade from the 60s  up to, and including 2010. This record from 1979 was co written by band member Rick Parfitt, more rocking 70s music later.



Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 7

American Pie by Don McLean

Inspired by the death in a plane crash of the Big Bopper, Ricky Valance and Buddy Holly in 1959, this record is sung almost anywhere and anytime



Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 6

Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 5

Maggie May - Rod Stewart video

Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 4

You're So Vain by Carly Simon

Who was this song about, she has never actually said at the time of writing this article, but Warren Beatty  is a high contender. This high class Golden Globe, Academy and Grammy award winner went onto the do a Bond Theme too.


Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 3

My Sweet Lord by George Harrison

After The Beatles split up in 1970, George came up with this classic record all about the god  Krishna, the record also featured Billy Preston. George died of cancer in 2001.



Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 2

Rock The Boat by The Hues Corporation

They use to open for Frank Sinatra and Glenn Campbell, but in 1974 after a long haul to get airplay the record was a worldwide hit. But one group member left the group after the recording of the record..bad timing!


Mike's Top Ten Songs of the 70s - No. 1

Jeepster by T.Rex

This is Michael's NO1 record of the 1970s a glamrock offering from the late Marc Bolan and his group T.Rex.
The record was released without Marcs permission, but nevertheless less it still got his support as it raised high in the charts. The record  has the rift from  "Howling Wolf" song, and also included a little inspiration from Roy Orbison.
Marc died in 1977 in  a car crash, ten years after he had put the group together.


As mentioned at the start Michaels sent a huge list in, so check out next week when we select some more of Michaels records that did not get in the Top Ten.


2 comments:

  1. Gen San Chris DearneOctober 19, 2010 at 2:29 AM

    A most excelent choice of hits,I had totally forgoten about Rock the Boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sitting on a beach in the UK, when I first heard "Rock The Boat", I loved it then and I still love it now.

    Chris how about your Top Ten.
    Soundsofthe1970s@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Hits of the 70s
Please come back soon, we aim to post new material every few days. Thank you.