Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2021

Colourful Music Hits of 1970

Here are some music of the 70s hits that had a colour in the title or in the group or artist. All these charted in the UK during the year 1970.

1/Melting Pot by Blue Mink
Written by Cook and Greenway this hit was still a left over hit from 1969, and is all about racial harmony. Still applies today.







2/Green River by Creedence Clearwater Revival from the album of the same name, again a single hit from 1969.

3.Wedding Bell Blues by 5th Dimension, this song is about a lady waiting for her man to propose. The  original version from 1966 was sung by 18 year old  Laura Nyro.

Here are the full lyrics to "Wedding Bell Blues".

Bill, I love you so, I always will
I look at you and see the passion eyes of May
Oh, but am I ever gonna see my wedding day
I was on your side Bill when you were loosin'
I never scheme or lie Bill, there's been no foolin'
But kisses and love won't carry me till you marry me Bill

I love you so, I always will
And in your voice I hear a choir of carousels
Oh, but am I ever gonna hear my wedding bells
I was the one who came runnin' when you were lonely
I haven't lived one day not lovin' you only
But kisses and love won't carry me til you marry me Bill

I love you so, I always will
And though devotion rules my heart I take no bows
But Bill you're never gonna take those wedding vows
Oh, come on Bill
Oh, come on Bill
Come on and marry me Bill
I got the wedding bell blues
Please marry me Bill
I got the wedding bell blues
Marry me Bill


4.Venus by The Shocking Blue Jeans a Dutch pop group.


5.My Baby Loves Lovin by White Plains featuring the voice of Tony Burrows, who was also the voice to "Love Grows,Where My Rosemary Goes" by Edison Lighthouse and "Gimme Dat Din" by the Pipkins, both hits in the music of the 70s.


6.Good Morning Freedom by Blue Mink, from the album of the same name. Be patient we have another hit later from this band.

7.House of the Rising Sun by Frijid, Pink a good cover of the 60s song by The Animals.The group used this song as a filler during their live shows, but it became so popular that it became a single and a big hit both sides of the Atlantic.

In 2010 Craig Webb died, who from time to time was a guitarist for this group.

8/Ive Got You On My Mind by White Plains, again Tony Burrows sings up front as he also did for Brotherhood Of Man, and he was the voice of First Class and the summer hit in 1974 "Beach Baby".

9/Question by Moody Blues, a classic from Hayward and Lodge here, the song was based on the album track of the same name , the album was called "A Question Of Balance"

The Moody Blues Official Website


10/Yellow River by Christie, a great sing a long hit from the music of the 70s, this song was originally supposed to be a hit for the Tremoloes, but they did not release it at the time so it was snapped up by British born Jeff Christie. The song is about a man returning home from a war.Bet you did not know that!

Here is the official Jeff Christie Website

11/Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell, an environmental song that Joni wrote as she looked out at the beauty of the Hawaiian ocean, then to a car lot.

Here are the full lyrics to "Big Yellow Taxi"

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Hey farmer farmer
Put away the D.D.T. now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please!
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Late last night
I heard my screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away my old man
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

I said don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/joni+mitchell/#share



12/Black Night by Deep Purple, with vocals by Ian Gillan, and the tune was inspired by Canned Heat.

The official Deep Purple Site


13/Paranoid by Black Sabbath the British heavy metal band, this track comes from the album of the same name and only took twenty minutes to write.

Guitar chords to "Paranoid".

The Official Black Sabbath Website


The last colour from the year belongs again to Blue Mink and "Our World".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Hits of the 70s
Please come back soon, we aim to post new material every few days. Thank you.