Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2018

1970s Top Ten by Steve Hill

The music of the 70s, was a mix of everything, from novelty records,disco,rock,country and so so much more. In an occasional series we ask readers to come up with their Top Ten of the 1970s.
Steve is a UK born guy now living in Asia and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of music, so I hope I get nothing wrong here.







 Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.10
Jilted John by Jilted John


Born in 1959 as Graham Fellows from Sheffield,England, Jilted John was just one of the characters that this man is known for, the other being John Shuttleworth a fictional radio personality and song writer.


As Jilted John he had a big hit, with lyrics that included 
"Not THAT puff, I said dismayed 
Yes but he's no puff she cried (He's more of a man than you'll ever be) ".


Here are the full lyrics to Jilted John



I've been going out with a girl,
her name is Julie
But last night she said to me,
when we were watching telly

(This is what she said)

She said listen John, I love you
But there's this bloke, I fancy
I don't want to two time you,
so it's the end for you and me

Who's this bloke I asked her
Goooooordon, she replied
Not THAT puff, I said dismayed
Yes but he's no puff she cried

(He's more of a man than you'll ever be)

Here we go, two three four

I was so upset that I cried,
all the way to the chip shop

When I came out there was Gordon,
standing at the bus stop

(And guess who was with him? Yeah, Julie, and they were both laughing at me)

Oh, she is cruel and heartless
to pack me for Gordon
Just cos he's better looking than me
Just cos he's cool and trendy


[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/jilted-john-lyrics-jilted-john.html ]

But I know he's a moron, Gordon is a moron
Gordon is a moron, Gordon is a moron

Here we go, two three four

Oh she's a slag and he's a creep
She's a tart, he's very cheap
She is a slut, he thinks he's tough
She is a bitch, he is a puff
Yeah yeah, it's not fair
Yeah yeah, it's not fair

(I'm so upset)

I'm so upset, I'm so upset, yeah yeah

(I ought to smash his face in.)

(Yeah, but he's bigger than me. In't he?)

(I know, I'll get my mate Barry to hit him. He'd flatten him)

(Yeah but Barry's a mate of Gordon's in'e?)

(Oh well, I don't care)

I don't care
I don't care
Cause she's a slag and he's a creep
she's a tart, he's very cheap
she is a slut, he thinks he's tough......




Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.9
Whiskey In The Jar by Thin Lizzy
The Irish rock band fronted by Phuil Lynott , who died in 1986,performed a rock version of  a very famous Irish traditional song, it should not work, but it really does.
Thin Lizzy had many hits in the music of the 70s, but after the death of Phils the bands single success stopped.

The Official Thin Lizzy Site



Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.8
Harvest For The World by The Isley Brothers
Alot of brothers rotated to make up this group from America, the band can be traced back to 1954 when they first started performing as a quartet. This record  was written by brother Ernie.


Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.7
Marc Bolan fronted this glam rock style group, he died in a car crash in 1977 at the peak of his fame. The song "Get It On",  Marc said was inspired by Chuck Berry's song "Little Queenie".

The Official Marc Bolan Site

Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.6
Alison by  Elvis Costello
All we know is that Elvis wrote the song about disappointing someone, he says no more about it.

The Official Elvis Costello Website
Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.5
Say You Dont Mind by Colin Blunstone
Colin who was a member of The Zombies recorded this beautiful record in 1972, and was written by Denny Laine, who went onto to become a member of Wings.

Official Website Of Colin Blunstone

Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.4
Mercy,Mercy Me by Marvin Gaye
From 1971 this beautiful track appears on the album "Whats Going On", and this track was written by Gaye himself. Marvin Gaye died by gunshot from his father in 1984

Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.3
Ill Take What I Want by Rory Gallagher
Rory born in Ireland in in 1948 and died in 1995 following a liver transplant.

The Official Rory Gallagher Website

Here are the lyrics to "I Take What I want"









Owwww.... 

Well, I take what I want, 
I'm a bad go-getter, yeah, that`s what I am. 
I never lose and I ain't no quitter yet, 
'Cos I take what I want, and baby, I want you. 

Well, I've been watching you walk by, 
And I have not said a word, not one word. 
But now I'm out to get you, baby, 
And I'm gonna make you my girl, my loving girl. 
'Cos I take what I want and baby I want you. 

Gonna pick you up now baby, 
And carry you away. 
So you`d better pack up now baby, 
Pack it up today. 
Well here I am, I'm just a big bad man. 
When I walk away baby, 
You'll be holding my hand. 

I take what I want, 
Well, I'm a bad go-getter, yeah. 
Yeah. 
I never lose and I ain't no quitter yet. 
'Cos I take what I want, 
And baby, I want you. 
Owww...all right... 

Gonna pick you up now baby, 
And carry you away. (yes I am) 
So you'd better pack up now baby. 
Pack it up today. 
Well, here I am, I'm just a big bad man. 
When I walk away baby, 
You'll be holding my hand. 

I take what I want, 
Well, I'm a bad go-getter yeah. 
I never lose and I ain't no quitter yet, 
'Cos I take what I want, 
And baby, I want you. 
Owww....



Steve's  Top Ten Songs of the 70s -No.2
Love Will Tear Us Apart Again by Joy Division
Formed in 1976 this Manchester group had Ian Curtis on vocals who died in 1980 after hanging himself after an argument with his young wife.

No1
Mouldy Old Dough
Lieutenant Pigeon
Here is Steve Hills Number One record, this novelty record from the British charts, and was recorded in the front room of the bands house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Hits of the 70s
Please come back soon, we aim to post new material every few days. Thank you.